Spring has sprung, and so have seasonal allergies. If you suffer from symptoms like headaches, sinus pressure, and itchy eyes, you know how frustrating it can be to find symptom relief.
Let’s explore tried and true natural allergy relief remedies you can make at home. Or find in your local naturopathic store.
Relief starts at home.
There are plenty of over-the-counter antihistamine medicines that treat allergy symptoms. However, we’ve found that natural remedies offer long-term benefits that are gentle on the body.
Peruse through your pantry and you may be surprised to find that you probably have several natural allergy remedies on hand already!
A few of our favorite pantry staples that fight frustrating symptoms include
- Herbal teas: Anti-inflammatory herbs like gingko, milk thistle, yarrow, and turmeric help to reduce allergy symptoms. Steep for several minutes and sip while warm.
- Local honey: While this doesn’t offer immediate relief, taking a daily spoonful of local honey that is made from the pollen you’re allergic to can help long-term.
The power of natural support.
If you’re looking to take your natural allergy symptom relief to the next level, consider stopping by your local health food store. There, you’ll find dozens of options that can reduce pesky symptoms and have other health benefits as well.
Here are some of our recommended supplements to stock up on this spring
- Stinging nettle: Brew a tea made from its leaves or take it as a supplement. Research suggests that stinging nettle reduces the body’s histamine production and related inflammation.
- Vitamin C: A natural antihistamine, Vitamin C boosts the immune system and helps the body react less strongly to allergens.
- Quercetin: Research suggests that quercetin reduces the respiratory effects of allergies. It’s found naturally in many foods and herbs, but is also popular as a supplement.
- Spirulina: This type of blue-green algae is popular for reducing inflammation in the nasal passageways. It’s sold both as a power to mix into other foods or taken as a supplement.
Other powerful yet natural allergy relief options include essential oils that can be applied topically, onto other surfaces, or diffused in the air. Some of our favorite essential oils are
- Peppermint essential oil: Use as a chest rub by diluting in a carrier oil and apply to the chest area to reduce symptoms of bronchial asthma and allergic rhinitis.
- Eucalyptus essential oil: Add a few drops to your laundry to extract its antimicrobial properties.
- Frankincense essential oil: Apply behind your ears after diluting with a carrier oil or diffuse into the air to find relief from perennial allergic rhinitis.
For your toughest symptoms like nasal blockage and sinus pressure, patients have experienced immediate relief with nasal irrigation methods and all-natural allergy sprays. Your practitioner can give you more information on how and when to use these methods.
We recommend using a Neti Pot to flush mucus out of the nasal passage with a saline solution. This aids in sinus relief without the need for medication.
Homeopathic nasal sprays are also good options for fast, gentle symptom relief. We recommend Texas Allergy Spray by Celletech, made with a blend of all-natural herbs that relieve stubborn symptoms from oak, cedar, ragweed, and mold.
Experience allergy relief with The Infinity Way.
If you feel overwhelmed by all the allergy relief options, we understand. It’s hard to know what will work best for your body and lifestyle.
We use our standard process, The Infinity Way, to uncover the root cause of your allergies, cleanse your body of the issues, and support you throughout your wellness journey.
Let’s overcome your seasonal allergy issues together! Schedule an appointment today to get back to balanced.