Read more about sunblock on our blog on Rising Vitamin D Deficiencies here.
Natural Sunscreen Recipe
The individual ingredients are considered low SPF and generally quoted at these levels:
- Almond oil: SPF around 5
- Coconut oil: SPF 4-6
- Zinc oxide or titanium dioxide: SPF 2-20 depending on how much is used
- Red raspberry seed oil: SPF 25-50
- Carrot seed oil: SPF 35-40
- Shea butter: SPF 4-6
The final version will have a varied sun protective ability depending on the amount of each ingredient used. For a simple version, even just coconut oil and shea butter with some zinc oxide or a little raspberry seed and carrot seed oil will work for moderate exposure.
As always check with your doctor or dermatologist before using any new products.
Recipe from Wellness Mama
Coconut Oil Sunscreen Recipe
- ½ Cup Virgin Coconut Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Non Nana Zinc Oxide
- 1 Tablespoon Red Raspberry Seed Oil
- Optional: 10 Drops Essential Oils (I used Carrot Seed & Lavender)
1. Whip coconut oil up in a mixer or food processor.
2. Carefully add the zinc oxide (you don’t want to inhale it!), red raspberry seed oil and essential oils.
3. Once the oils and zinc oxide are mixed well pour them into a small container.
Recipe from Coconut Mama