Apple Pie, Stuffing, Mashed Potatoes…..I know, I know, I know…… It can be hard to eat healthy over the holidays season!
Here are a few tips to help you make good choices and prevent overeating:
- If you have to take a deep breath between bites, STOP EATING! Your body is satisfied!
- Chew each bite at least twenty times. Put down your fork between bites. (this gives your salivary glands time to release digestive enzymes to break down any carbohydrates you are eating.)
- Use your molars to chew and break down your food adequately, your GI tract will be grateful! Don’t drink cold drinks with food. This dampens and dilutes hydrochloric acid, digestive juices, and enzymes.
- Dinner should not be the largest meal of the day- Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper.
- If you are upset, angry or in an irritated mood, wait to eat! Your body cannot digest well when it is stressed. The best oils to cook with are, in this order: olive oil, coconut oil, butter – organic and non-salted and grapeseed oil.
- Add a teaspoon of Flaxseed, Grapeseed or Sesame seed oil to salad dressings for extra anti-oxidants.
- Steaming is better than grilling, and Stir-Fry is better than Steaming. Stir-fry is best because the food is cooked so briefly that retains most of its nutrients.
- Take a digestive enzyme with all meals to avoid disturbing symptoms such as bloating, gas, nausea or diarrhea. My favorite enzyme is Zypan by Standard Process, it contains Hydrochloric Acid, we carry this in the office.
- Consider a Paleo Thanksgiving – You can still have all the delicious foods without the processed sugars, carbs, gluten and dairy!
We have so much to be thankful for. Bless your food and eat your food with thanks. As you eat your food, your cells, tissues, and organs are cleansed, strengthened and renewed. See yourself strong and healed this Holiday Season!