Apple Pie, Stuffing, Mashed Potatoes… I know, I know… It can be so HARD to eat healthy over the holidays season! You’re probably considering throwing out all your healthy habits and just going all out for the holiday. That’s definitely an option, we want you to enjoy your time! BUT if you want to experience a holiday where you take care of yourself, and you treat your body and your mind like you are deserving of good times without needing to binge and without turning your intake up to 11, we have some advice for you.
Here are a few tips to help you make good choices and prevent overeating:
- If you have to take a deep breath between bites, STOP EATING! Your body is satisfied!
- Set aside some leftovers at the beginning so you don’t feel like the BIG meal is your only chance to experience the food.
- Chew each bite at least twenty times. This helps start the digestive process early, and it helps you practice mindfulness while you are eating.
- Put down your fork between bites. This gives your salivary glands time to release digestive enzymes to break down any carbohydrates you are eating.
- Use your molars to chew and break down your food adequately, your GI tract will be grateful!
- Don’t drink cold drinks with food. This dampens and dilutes hydrochloric acid, digestive juices, and enzymes in your gut.
- Dinner should not be the largest meal of the day (if you can help it). Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper.
- If you are upset, angry or in an irritated mood, wait to eat! Your body cannot digest well when it is stressed.
- The best oils to cook with are: (in this order) Olive Oil, Coconut Oil, Butter, organic and non-salted Grapeseed Oil.
- Add a teaspoon of Flaxseed Oil, Grapeseed Oil or Sesame seed oil to salad dressings for extra anti-oxidants.
- Steaming is better than grilling, and stir-fry is better than steaming. Stir-fry and air-fry is best because the food is cooked so briefly that retains most of its nutrients.
- Take a digestive enzyme with all meals to avoid disturbing symptoms such as bloating, gas, nausea or diarrhea. My favorite enzyme is Zypan by Standard Process – it contains Hydrochloric Acid. We carry this in the office, order online or call us to pick it up before the holiday!
- Consider a Paleo Thanksgiving – You can still have all the delicious foods without the processed sugars, carbs, gluten and dairy!
We have so much to be thankful for. Bless your food and eat your food with thanks. As you eat your food your cells, tissues, and organs are cleansed, strengthened, and renewed. See yourself strong and healed this Holiday Season!