Do you find that you spend more nights tossing and turning than actually sleeping? Do you dream of going to sleep at night and waking up feeling refreshed and ready to start the day?
According to the CDC, ten percent of Americans have a sleeping disorder. Difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep (insomnia) can be a health issue and chronic disease. Luckily, with the right holistic approach (probably, not a sleeping pill.) insomnia can be helped. Acute Insomnia can last one night or up to a few weeks. When lack of sleep is greater than 3 nights per week and lasts longer than one month, it is referred to a chronic insomnia.
Chronic insomnia, even acute insomnia, can have a huge impact on your day-to-day health. Some common side effects are headaches, back pain, irritability, lower immunity, depression, high blood sugar, and more.
Failure to shut off the brain at night can be as simple as not having good pre-sleep habits. Try using the following recommendation for setting a regular sleep schedule and a consistent bedtime routine.
- Set your bedtime for the same time every night to allow you to get at least 8 hours of sleep.
- Keep your bedroom dark and cool
- Avoid caffeine too close to bedtime. You may have to experiment to determine what your caffeine cut-off time is.
- Do not sleep in for more than one hour on the weekends. If slept for less than 7 hours, take a one hour or less midday nap at least 6 hours before bedtime.
- Have a calming drink (chamomile tea, tart cherry juice, warm milk) one hour before bedtime
If insomnia continues, it maybe time to see a doctor. Whether the cause is stress-related, spinal alignment, or of another origin, Infinity Wellness Center, Holistic Doctor in Austin can help discover the source and help you get the sleep you so need.